Engraving Inspired

Latest Inspired Design
Do you know what is so truly fascinating about our internet driven world? The fact that a person like myself can start my Sunday chatting with masterful artists around the world via video and watch them work.
Our meeting ground....Steve Lindsey's Engraving Forum. It is an excellent forum of the world's engraving talent and an excellent place for a budding engraver like myself to pick up tips and tricks from the world's best.
I signed up for an observation opportunity observe the engraving of a side plate by Roland Baptiste Engraveur.
This is the Side plate I am observing Roland Baptiste engraving

Literally,I get to look at Roland's graver block as he engraves. Observation and practise are after all two of the most important things when mastering engraving. 
    As I observed his work , I chatted with another engraver/jeweler in Belgium and an engraver in London. To  be able to connect with artists in my field all over the world is a rare oppurtunity and definately a blessing to this new age. So, as I made my cinnamon rolls and drank my coffee, I watched his engraving unfold. 
How inspiring!  
After breakfast with the engraver's of the world.... full on inspiration I headed to my graver ball. From observation to inspiration and to complete the circle....Practice.
I decided to spend the rest of the day engraving. Practicing what I had seen. I started working on a flat Silver Disk. The first of a new series of creations in which I start with an Engraving Practise plate and end with a finished piece of jewelry.Please enjoy as the Scroll and design of this piece unfolds.
Layout and cut outlines

Shade cut , recess background,
dap circle and add Gold edge

Final stage is creating the jewelry from my engraving
I decide to add a Gold Detailed Bail with a
 Tori Gate inspired Design

Finally, I Polish the Design to add the Final Touch.
 Final Design which is crafted in
Sterling Silver and 14 K Yellow Gold
by Kathryn Stewart









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Art Nouveau Inspired Necklace

Artful Scrolls & Engraver Jason Marchiafava

Discovering Hand Engraving