Stream of Conscious

  



Sketching helps inspire the mind








Today as I approached the table of many parts,I was beckoned by these lovely little sterling leaf shapes and some silver wire which had been partially forged. They were asking for completion and I was in the mood for a stream of conscious creative session. One of those days where I throw the rigidity of predestined design rules out the window and rely on technique and instinct.
Once I have selected my pieces, I begin with sketching to get the creative juices flowing. My intention is not to make these sketches (at least not today) but
forging the silver to evolve it's shape
to get my mind working in a general direction to take my pendants in today. Keep in mind my goal...no particular design.


Polishing and cleaning
        Feeling inspired, I begin to work.This is the Stream of Conscious part...much like the writing assignment we all know from grade school. My goal is just keep moving and don't over think it . Let the pieces become something as I loosely guide them through the techniques...

Soldering for assembly

Setting the Gemstones of my choice
 Forging, filing , polishing, soldering,and setting... my pieces begin to evolve into beautifully sculptural little pendants. At first I thought more leaf inspired but as I am working on them they start to make me think of different things. One becomes an undersea shell and the creature that would hide inside is creeping out while no one is looking. Another is a seed pod. That is the fun of this exercise. During this inspired challenge my mind gets to rest. It's like daydreaming while being productive.My mind wanders as my hands travel the paths they have a million times before. At the end of the day, I set my stones and am pleased to introduce 6 totally unexpected designs to you .
I hope you enjoy this post and in turn find what inspires you today!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Art Nouveau Inspired Necklace

Artful Scrolls & Engraver Jason Marchiafava

Discovering Hand Engraving