Phoenix Rising....

Exactly one month has past since the day I pulled out of town on an evacuation route to avoid the path of Hurricane Irene. Completely for the amusement of a "hurrication" as I had dubbed the trip to Asheboro , NC. I have grown up in the path of many a storm and have never untill now been touched by one truly.
     The phoenix is a mythical bird with a colorful plumage and a tail of gold and scarlet. Near the end of it's life it builds itself a nest of twigs that then ignites; both nest and bird burn fiercely and are reduced to ashes, from which a new, young phoenix or phoenix egg arises, reborn anew to live again.... Which is precisely what we plan to do.
This month has been a surreal path. From an adventure to escape a storm I never thought would hurt, to the reality of our studio and gallery's momentary destruction a day later.
I was reminded of the days we bagan in this little old farmhouse as I walked into our flooded gallery. Fourteen years of renovating and building our world and one day of water had washed so much away in the physical since.
As we disassembled our soggy world, I was faced with an inner struggle. In the blink of an eye everything had changed. Tragedy finds each of us eventually in life. I think I knew this all to well as I faced the most tragic of events as a child upon losing my sister to drowning. In recent years, I have felt this fear growing within me... when will it be my turn. When will the universe take control and rip that carpet from underneath my comfortable feet.
     So here I am ... in the wake of this storm literally.
Comforted in the safety of my loved ones and the embrace of my home. My great loss ... the momentary interruption of the business we have poured our hearts into for the past 14 years or at least the building which housed it.
The first thought as I wiped the tears, how will we ever get through this... how will we survive?
The second thought... like a phoenix we will rise and be reborn.This moment is life's oppurtunity to evolve into a greater and stronger form of ourselves.I began with my first jewelry creation since the storm which brings me strength now as I wear it ...Phoenix rising from the water engraved in silver and set with 18k and a diamond accent. Only the beginning of more great things to come including my latest series of jewelry inspired by this piece.
I look forward to showing each of you the rebuilding of our creative world....Kathryn Holton Stewart :-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Art Nouveau Inspired Necklace

Artful Scrolls & Engraver Jason Marchiafava

Discovering Hand Engraving